Shamrock Rovers outclass Bohemians in derby marred by crowd disturbance

Newstalk Sport's Raf Diallo reports from the derby at Dalymount Park

BY Raf Diallo 21:35 Friday 15 April 2016, 21:35 15 Apr 2016

Rovers' Gary McCabe celebrates scoring the first goal of the game ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

Shamrock Rovers are back on track after thrashing derby rivals Bohemians 4-0 away from home.

Coming off the back of a 3-0 loss at Derry City, the result lifts Pat Fenlon's side back into European contention. 

Neither side could get into a rhythm in the first 10 minutes with stray passes and frantic challenges setting the tone at a sunset-kissed Dalymount Park.

Bohs created the first real chance when Ayman Ben Mohamed broke down the left, cut inside his defender and squared for Keith Buckley whose low first time shot was saved comfortably by Barry Murphy in the Rovers goal.

A few minutes later, Ben Mohamed tried his luck from range but his effort flashed just over. The crowd's exhalation showed how close it was to the crossbar.

On 20 minutes, Bohs right back Derek Pender thrust in a cross which caused momentary chaos as Rovers defender Maxime Blanchard failed to cut it out.

Bohs' Robert Lopes and Gary McCabe of Rovers ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

The ball fell to Ismahil Akinade eight yards out but his shot was blocked by Simon Madden to snuff out the opportunity.

The game settled down with the headline moments being bookings for two Bohs midfielders, Eoin Wearan and Paddy Kavanagh, before Brandon Miele tried a low shot for Rovers which Dean Delaney got down to.

As the game ticked towards half-time, Lorcan Fitzgerald conceded a foul on Rovers' Madden on the left-hand edge of the Bohs box with a booking seeming to be the only punishment.


Unfortunately there was worse to follow. Rovers' quick free-kick was pulled back short but the resulting shot from Miele was blocked. However, it cannoned towards Gary McCabe at the edge of the box and the Rovers midfielder fired through a crowded box and watched his shot crash into the back of the net to make it 1-0 to the away side.

Bohs' Lorcan Fitzgerald is yellow carded by Referee Paul McLaughlin  ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

Straight after the break, a long range effort from Kavanagh came close for Bohs, only to clip the crossbar.

But Rovers went straight down the other end to make it 2-0 as Miele exchanged passes and fired across Delaney and inside the post. 

Rovers ended the game as a contest on 74 minutes when Miele got in behind and slotted past Delaney to make it 3-0. 

Soon after it was 4-0 as Gavin Brennan curled in a brilliant goal from 25 yards into the top corner, which sparked a flashpoint between what appeared to be a small minority of supporters from both sides in front of the end housing the Rovers fans.




 Rovers' Brendan Miele celebrates scoring the second goal of the game with his teammates ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne


Second-half display earns Leinster a bonus-point win over Edinburgh

21:33 Friday 15 April 2016 0 Minute Read

Kilkenny make five changes ahead of league semi-final with Clare

21:00 Friday 15 April 2016 0 Minute Read
Off The Ball


The very best bits of Off The Ball delivered every week