Connacht receive major boost as Tom McCartney signs contract extension

The new deal will see McCartney remain with the province for another three years

BY Sinéad Farrell 13:24 Monday 19 December 2016, 13:24 19 Dec 2016

©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

Connacht rugby have confirmed that hooker Tom McCartney has signed a contract extension which will see him stay on with the Pro 12 champions until at least 2020.

McCartney marked his 50th appearance for the club with a man-of-the-match performance against Benetton Treviso in the Pro 12 earlier this month.

He crossed the whitewash twice in the first half to help his side record a 47-8 victory in the Sportsground on that occasion. He also lined out for Connacht at the weekend where they deservedly earned a two-point win over London Wasps in the Champions Cup. He first signed for the club in 2014 in a transfer from Auckland. 

Commenting on his new deal with the province, McCartney - who will be Irish qualified in 2017 - said he was 'delighted' with the announcment.

“I’m delighted to sign on for another three years with Connacht Rugby. I came here excited to be able to help the province achieve its vision of success and I believe we have the structures in place to see us continue to go from strength to strength.”

Head coach Pat Lam said that the move will make a 'massive statement' for the club going forward.

"I’m delighted for Connacht Rugby and our supporters that Tom has re-signed. It is a massive statement for the future of the squad and the province." 

"I’ve known Tom for so much of his career and he is a valuable leader on and off the pitch. Along with all the other recent re-signings, he will be an important contributor to the future success of the province."

 

Off The Ball

Newsletter

The very best bits of Off The Ball delivered every week