Conor McGregor features three times on UFC's list of their 10 best ever fights
The Dubliner returns to the Octagon in November to face Eddie Alvarez.09:30 Monday 24 October 2016, 9:30 24 Oct 2016
Conor McGregor's rise to the top in the UFC has produced some brilliant fights, a number of which feature in a list detailing the finest bouts in the organisation's history.
Ahead of UFC 205, the company decided to produce a top 10 list of the greatest fights that have ever taken place in the Octagon, dating all the way back to their first ever event, UFC 1: The Beginning.
That very first bout took place on November 12th in 1993, and with McGregor set to face Eddie Alvarez in Madison Square Garden on the very same date this year, there will be cause for plenty of celebration for the company, as they look back on their history and forward to the bright future with their first ever event in the city that never sleeps.
That first card, which featured Royce Gracie against Gerard Gordeau, makes the list of the best fights in UFC history, but among the other biggest nights that were featured in the list, Conor McGregor is very well represented indeed.
Before he fights in New York, the UFC decided that a number of the fights that made the Irishman's name in the promotion should all be included as they rattled through the best cards in UFC history.
His bout against Chad Mendes at UFC 189 appears, as does his quick knockout of Jose Aldo at UFC 194 to claim the featherweight title, but his most recent bout against Nate Diaz is given special mention too.
The fight went the full distance, and the article posted on the site claimed that: "No list of the biggest events in UFC history would be complete without UFC 202."
The full 10 events that the UFC chose as the best of the best are below, listed in chronological order rather than ranked.
10. UFC 1 – November 12, 1993 (Royce Gracie vs. Gerard Gordeau)
9. UFC 31 – May 4, 2001 (Randy Couture vs. Pedro Rizzo 2)
8. UFC 87 – August 9, 2008 (Georges St-Pierre vs. Jon Fitch)
7. UFC 100 – July 11, 2009 (Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir 2)
6. UFC 116 – July 3, 2010 (Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin)
5. UFC 129 – April 30, 2011 (Georges St-Pierre vs. Jake Shields)
4. UFC 189 – July 11, 2015 (Conor McGregor vs. Chad Mendes)
3. UFC 194 – December 12, 2015 (Conor McGregor vs. Jose Aldo)
2. UFC 200 – July 9, 2016 (Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes)
1. UFC 202 – August 20, 2016 (Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 2)
The very best bits delivered every weekSubscribe now