Eddie Hearn confirms Anthony Joshua versus Wladimir Klitschko won't be happening
Joshua will go up against an unnamed opponent on December 10th21:01 Monday 24 October 2016, 21:01 24 Oct 2016
Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn says British fighter Anthony Joshua will not fight Wladimir Klitschko for the WBA heavyweight title in December.
The Ukrainian picked up a minor injury in training last week.
Hearn says IBF champion Joshua will go up against an unnamed opponent in Manchester on December 10th.
"We've been in deep negotiations for a few weeks now waiting on the decision from the WBA," he told Sky Sports.
"I was made aware that Wladimir picked up a minor injury late last week but regardless of that, with just over six weeks to go til December 10th, it's unrealistic to put together a fight of this magnitude and give it the full build up it deserves.
"There will be an official announcement on Joshua v Klitschko coming very soon but for now we are seeking a new foe for December 10th and building a huge card for Manchester."
The possibility of a fight between Joshua and Klistschko taking place had increased after Tyson Fury vacated his titles as his rematch with the Ukrainian was cancelled.
As recently as last week however, the prospect of a fight between Klitschko and Joshua had receded with the former champion potentially lining up another opponent.
At the time Hearn had said: "We are beginning discussions with other opponents now while crossing our fingers that Klitschko takes the fight, regardless of how many belts are on the line. In an ideal world, there would be as many belts as possible on the line, but I hope he takes up the challenge rather than a soft touch in Germany."
The very best bits delivered every weekSubscribe now