Connacht fall short in Glasgow

Pat Lam's side conceded a half-time lead to lose in Scotland

Connacht, Glasgow

Image: ©INPHO/Craig Watson

Glasgow Warriors 35

Connacht 24

It was a difficult evening for Connacht in the Guinness PRO12 as the Irish province conceded a marginal half-time lead to slip to defeat against 14-man Glasgow Warriors.

In what was an incredibly physical battle at Scotstoun Stadium, the home side were able to shirk their numerical disadvantage and record a bonus point win in front of a raucous home crowd.

Early tries from Niyi Adeolokun and Corey Flynn cancelled each other out and kickers Finn Russell and Craig Ronaldson exchanged penalties.

The difference came shortly before the break when Connacht used the full width of the pitch and played from the back. The ball eventually ended up with captain John Muldoon who crossed into the corner for the visitors.

Ronaldson stretched their lead after the break with another superb kick, but a try from Finn Russell - coupled with his own conversion - nudged the home side into the lead by two.

Glasgow pushed further ahead when man of the match Ali Price crossed for the home side to put daylight between the sides.

This try came in the absence of Connacht number 10 Jack Carty, who had been sent to the bin for a high tackle just moments earlier.

As was a feature of the game, the momentum continued to swing back and forth and when Connacht had thought they crossed again for the lead, the TMO ruled that Adeolokun's foot had brushed the whitewash before he managed to ground the ball.

In the same review, referee Ian Davies also called back Tim Swinson for a swinging arm at the ruck and sent him to the stands. 

With the numerical advantage behind them, Connacht pressed for a try that would have given them the lead. Ronaldson cut the gap to six in the final 15 minutes but Peter Horne - who had by this time assumed kicking duties - answered with a penalty of his own.

Sean Lamont secure the bonus point for the home side with a late try.