Georges St-Pierre a free agent after he fails to agree a deal for UFC return
The former champion couldn't reach an agreement with the promotion22:27 Monday 17 October 2016, 22:27 17 Oct 2016
Georges St-Pierre will not return to the UFC after he revealed the negotiations with the promotion had hit an impasse.
Speaking on The MMA Hour, St-Pierre said: “My lawyer terminated the contract with the UFC," and added that he was now a free agent.
The Canadian fighter revealed that the negotiations had been close to a deal, and that he had made a "really reasonable" offer, but they were unable to come to an agreement, in particular after the sale of the UFC to its new owners.
"I think we were close to an agreement toward the end, until the big news arrived, and the news was the UFC had gotten sold to new owners,” St-Pierre told Ariel Helwani. “We were told that everything was put on ice until the new owners take charge.”
White previously stated that St-Pierre would not be appearing at UFC 206 in his hometown of Toronto, and has regularly expressed a skepticism that the 35-year-old had the desire to get back into the octagon.
However, St-Pierre dismissed those claims as mere "strategy" from White, and added that "the UFC told us that they would take a huge financial risk to have me back, and they would need to spend a lot of money to re-introduce me to the new audience."
St-Pierre also aimed further shots at White, claiming that he didn't know what it was to be a fighter, and that those in the sport would leave it "broke mentally, physically and financially."
He also added that the majority of those who climb into the octagon for the promotion are "starving, which is good for the UFC. If your employees are starving, they are easier to control."
Via MMA Junkie
The very best bits delivered every weekSubscribe now