Hull City and Everton share the spoils after pacey Premier League encounter

Everton rallied back twice to steal a point from the away fixture

BY Sinéad Farrell 22:48 Friday 30 December 2016, 22:48 30 Dec 2016

Danny Lawson PA Wire/PA Images

Both sides could have taken the victory this evening as Hull City and Everton were forced to settle for a draw at the KCOM Stadium.

It finished 2-2 but in truth, more goals could have been added to the score sheet. Seamus Coleman and Robert Snodgrass but saw their efforts hit the woodwork as did Romelu Lukaku with the aid of David Marshall's paw.

The hosts looked set to secure all three points after Snodgrass converted from a 65th minute free-kick, with a perfect technique that sweetly curled the ball into the top corner of the Everton net. This nudged them in front for the second time of the evening and put them on course to clawing their way out of the relegation zone.


But Everton responded through a Ross Barkley header to level the game in the concluding stages and they could have even snatched the victory at the death. Dominic Calvert-Lewin connected with a cross from Seamus Coleman, but his header failed to reach the target.

Hull took the early advantage through a Michael Dawson volley from a Robert Snodgrass corner on six minutes. Everton's first comeback of the night arrived on the stroke of half-time, when a Mirallas corner ended up in the Hull City net after Marshall failed to clear it properly with his fist.

Snodgrass was presented with an opportunity to put his side in front after the restart from a spot-kick but his shot bounced back into play off the post. A foul on Harry Maguire 25 yards out from goal gifted him with another chance to regain the lead and he made no mistake at the second time of asking. 

Hull City were edging ever closer to that much needed victory to begin their ascent out of the relegation zone but with six minutes remaining, Everton scored again.

After some patient build-up play, Leighton Baines put in a cross which found an unmarked Barkely at the back post, who clinched the leveler. 

Everton's search for the winner at the end of normal time failed to produce the decisive goal and both sides left with a point each.

Off The Ball


The very best bits of Off The Ball delivered every week