In Pictures: Dundalk and Cork City secure wins to keep title battle alive

Four points separate the sides at the top after Friday night's action

BY Raf Diallo 22:05 Friday 14 October 2016, 22:05 14 Oct 2016

Dundalk's Ciaran Kilduff celebrates scoring their third goal of the game ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

Dundalk have maintained their lead at the top of the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division with a commanding 3-0 win at Shamrock Rovers.

The reigning champions went into the fixture holding a four point lead over Cork City at the top of the table.

But they only broke the deadlock after half-time when Brian Gartland poked in after an effort from a set-piece had been saved on 53 minutes.

Dundalk's Brian Gartland scores their first goal ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

Nine minutes later Dane Massey made it 2-0 and Europa League goal hero Ciaran Kilduff made sure of the victory with the third with 20 minutes to go.

Rovers' Gary McCabe and Patrick McEleney of Dundalk argue ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

Second placed Cork City made sure the gap wasn't stretched beyond four points as they defeated Finn Harps 2-0 at Turner's Cross thanks to goals from Kevin O'Connor and Stephen Dooley either side of half-time.

Cork's Stephen Dooley with Adam Hanlon of Finn Harps ©INPHO/Tommy Dickson

Elsewhere, third-placed Derry City enjoyed a 2-1 win over Bohemians at the Brandywell Aaron McEneff and Rory Patterson cancelling out Kurtis Byrne's opener for the Dublin side.

Mickey Funston of Finn Harps dejected as he is taken off due to a blood injury ©INPHO/Tommy Dickson

Bray Wanderers defeated St Patrick's Athletic 2-1 at the Carlisle Grounds while Kieran Sadlier's first half goal gave Sligo Rovers a 1-0 win at home to bottom side Longford Town.

Bohemian's goalkeeper Dean Delany is beaten from the penalty spot by Derry's Aaron McEneff ©INPHO/Presseye/Lorcan Doherty

There was a thriller at Ferrycarrig Park as Wexford Youths raced into a 5-0 lead, only to see their vast advantage cut to 5-4.


Derry's Rory Patterson celebrates scoring what ultimately proves to be the winning goal on the night ©INPHO/Presseye/Lorcan Doherty

Danny Furlong scored twice for Wexford as they raced into that 5-0 lead but Kevin Devaney got a brace of his own in the Galway fight-back. 

Off The Ball


The very best bits of Off The Ball delivered every week