Jose Aldo set on UFC exit regardless of Conor McGregor rematch

The Brazilian also said that he has no intention of joining another promotion

BY Newstalk 13:46 Tuesday 4 October 2016, 13:46 4 Oct 2016

Image: John Locher / AP/Press Association Images

UFC interim featherweight champion Jose Aldo says he is set on a UFC exit regardless of whether or not he is granted a rematch against Conor McGregor.

Aldo, who went ten years unbeaten until McGregor's 13 second knockout last December, has voiced his intention to leave the promotion and previously expressed his frustration at being unable to schedule a rematch with McGregor.

This year alone, the Irishman has fought twice at welterweight against Nate Diaz - resulting in an initial defeat at UFC 196 before the he won via majority decision at UFC 202 in August.

McGregor was told by UFC president Dana White that he would have to drop back down to featherweight to defend the title or have to give it up.

He is now scheduled to fight at UFC 205 in New York, still as the 145lbs champion, and aims to become the first fighter in UFC history to hold two belts in two different weight divisions concurrently.

"Not even that because that would be the right thing to happen," Aldo told Brazilian TV channel SporTV when asked if a rematch would be enough to keep him in the sport.

"This fight is the fight that should happen next in the featherweight division. I conquered that [right] ever since I entered the UFC. I saw other champions losing and fighting right away for the belt. That was the right thing.

"I didn’t fight for the belt. They made me fight for the interim title, I went there and won, and still have no definition whatsoever. To me, not even a fight with McGregor… It’s not about him being fighting now or not. I don’t care where he’s going. I want to follow my path. Today, the right is me getting released from the contract."

Asked whether or not he thinks McGregor would take the fight he said: "Everybody knows he’s scared to fight [me]. He knows how dangerous I am for him for the fact that my last fight, everybody said that I had a safe performance and if I fight this way I don’t lose to anyone.

"I’ve seen him in press conferences saying that he would fight with Frankie Edgar but not against me. I think he’s scared."

Via MMAFighting

Off The Ball

Newsletter

The very best bits of Off The Ball delivered every week