Kilkenny revive the spirit of September to haunt Galway in the Leinster hurling final

Jonjo Farrell's second half goal proved vital this afternoon

Kilkenny revive the spirit of September to haunt Galway in the Leinster hurling final

Image: ©INPHO/Morgan Treacy 

Kilkenny 1-26

Galway   0-22

Jonjo Farrell's second half goal gave Kilkenny the push to complete another wonderful second-half comeback and claim a third consecutive Leinster title.

For Galway it was a case of déjà vu and undoubtedly memories of their All-Ireland collapse last year will have haunted them, but it was Brian Cody's men who drew inspiration from the comeback at Croke Park this afternoon.

The game started out rather nip and tuck, early scores from Joseph Cooney and Cathal Mannion were cancelled out by Jonjo Farrell and Walter Walsh.

Colin Fennelly had the chance to grab the first goal of the game during the first-half, but he fired wide under pressure.

For the most part, there was a pretty even exchange of scores for both free takers with TJ Reid and Joe Canning finding the target time and again from the dead ball.

The difference at the break was three in favour of Galway and if comparisons to 2015 started here - Galway also led by three points at the break in September - they certainly didn't stop.

Cody introduced Richie Hogan and John Power at the break and the pair were vital in inspiring a Kilkenny comeback.

To Galway's credit they continued to defend resolutely for the opening five minutes of the second half, but Hogan's point just after the restart was an ominous sign for the Tribesmen.

The quality of fielding proved superb this afternoon in Croke Park, with both sides opting in favour of hig, long balls into the full-forward line. Image: ©INPHO/Morgan Treacy

With Hogan, Reid and Power all finding their rhythm, the rest of the team began to follow suit.

Defensively, Kilkenny went on top. The long ball employed by Galway when under pressure bore very little fruit in the second period as Cillian Buckle and the rest of the backline continued to snuff out the danger.

With Kilkenny continuing to chip away at the lead, they were given their just reward when Jonjo Farrell peeled off his marker at the back post and collected a short pass before driving his shot low under the onrushing Colm Callanan.

From here, the Cats pushed on and again points from Hogan and Reid steadily built up an unassailable lead. Galway's best chance at a goal was bravely cleared off the line by Buckley, who dived back to turn the sliothar behind for a 65 metre free.

The Cats continued and finished as seven point winners in the end, claiming a 71st Leinster title.