LOI Round-Up: Cork City win seven in a row

John Caulfield's side have a six-point lead

BY Daniel Kelly 22:05 Friday 31 March 2017, 22:05 31 Mar 2017

Cork City's Gearoid Morrissey scoring their third goal of the game Mandatory Credit ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

Cork City maintained their 100% record at the start of the SSE Airtricity League season with a 3-0 away to Limerick.

John Caulfield's side have now won their opening seven games of the season. Goals from Seanie Maguire, Garry Buckley and Gearoid Morrissey maintain their six-point lead at the top of the table.

Reigning champions Dundalk recorded a 3-1 win in the Louth Derby at home to Drogheda United. David McMillian, Michael Duffy and Brian Gartland scored for the champions.

The away side ended the game with ten men as former Dundalk player Ciaran McGuigan was sent off. Marc Griffin scored for the visitors.

On an emotional night in Buncrana, Derry City lost 3-2 to Bray Wanderers. In Derry's first game since the death of Ryan McBride, they trailed 2-0, but got the game back level with goals from Aaron McEneff and Dean Jarvis, after Gary McCabe and Aaron Greene gave Wanderers a 2-0 half-time lead.

Defender Tim Clancy scored three minutes into added time to give Bray the win. Derry now lie nine points off the lead.

Players from both teams observe a minutes applause for the late Derry City captain Ryan McBride. Mandatory Credit ©INPHO/Presseye/Lorcan Doherty

St. Patrick's Athletic continued their recent resurgence with a 4-0 win away to Bohemians. Goals from Christy Fagan, Conan Byrne (x2) and Kurtis Byrne gave Liam Buckley's side the spoils.

In Tallaght, a Simon Madden goal in added-time gave Shamrock Rovers a 3-2 win over Finn Harps, despite taking a 2-0 lead. Goals from David McAllister and Ronan Finn gave Stephen Bradley's side an early lead.

Second-half goals from Caolan McAleer and Paddy McCourt looked likely to give Harps a valuable point, before Madden's goal sealed the three points.

In Galway, the Connacht Derby between Galway United and Sligo Rovers was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. Early evening rain in Galway originally halted the start of the game by 15 minutes, before it was called off. The game has been rescheduled for Monday night.

In the First Division, Athlone Town scored two late goals to draw 3-3 at home with Cabinteely, while Shelbourne defeated Wexford 2-0 in Tolka Park.


VIDEO: Hilarious sketch pokes fun at each province's rugby fans

15:27 Wednesday 25 February 2015 0 Minute Read

Ireland cult hero Gary Doherty talks "Ginger Pele" nickname and how versatility "hindered" his career

16:34 Tuesday 22 March 2016 0 Minute Read

'We can't afford to wallow': Joe Schmidt

12:00 Saturday 11 March 2017 2 Minute Read
Off The Ball


The very best bits of Off The Ball delivered every week