Late, late penalty pulls draw from the jaws of defeat for ten-man Leicester City

The Foxes drew 2-2 against West Ham as they go eight points clear

Leandro Ulloa, Leicester

Leandro Ulloa celebrates. Picture by: David Davies / EMPICS Sport

Leandro Ulloa scored a stoppage time penalty for Premier League leaders Leicester City to salvage a 2-2 draw at home to West Ham.

Claudio Ranieri's side were heading for defeat when an Andy Carroll foul in the box saw a penalty awarded, which Ulloa stepped up to slot home.

The result leaves Leicester eight points clear at the top, although second placed Tottenham have a game in hand and can cut the lead to five points with a win.

But the Foxes are also counting the cost of a suspension for top scorer Jamie Vardy who was shown a second yellow card for diving.

West Ham almost took the lead in the first two minutes but Leicester keeper Kasper Schmiechel tipped Cheikhou Kouyaté's header from a Dimitri Payet free-kick onto the post and then watched as the ball hit the other post, without going in.

Leicester City's Jamie Vardy (left) receives a red card from referee Jonathan Moss (centre) after diving during the Barclays Premier League match at the King Power Stadium, Leicester. Picture by: Mike Egerton / PA Wire/Press Association Images

And on 18 minutes, Jamie Vardy put Leicester 1-0 up when he blasted past Adrian after N'Golo Kante had played him in.

But the forward was at the centre of it all when the game turned on its head 10 minutes after the break.

Already on a yellow, referee Jonathan Moss adjudged that Vardy went down easily in the box after a challenge with Hammers defender Angelo Ogbonna and showed him a second yellow card.

The 10-men of Leicester hung on until the 84th minute when Moss awarded West Ham a penalty after he ruled that Wes Morgan had fouled Winston Reid in the box.

Andy Carroll stepped up and converted to make it 1-1. Two minutes later, West Ham hit the front when Aaron Cresswell's wonderful looping shot beat Schmeichel and found the net, leaving Leicester in despair.

But there was one last twist to the plot as Moss awarded a Leicester penalty for a Carroll foul on Jeffrey Schlupp, allowing Ulloa to fire home and salvage a draw.