Leinster dominate Northampton to record 37-10 away win

England captain Dylan Hartley was sent off for a cheap shot on Sean O'Brien

Leinster dominate Northampton to record 37-10 away win

Leinster's Garry Ringrose scores the first try of the game Image: ©INPHO/James Crombie

Leinster dominated Northampton at Franklin's Gardens tonight as they ran in five tries and recorded at 37-10 away win.

They attacked with intent from the outset and within two minutes Rob Kearney danced past a couple of Saint's defenders before offloading to Garry Ringrose who ran in unopposed under the posts. Nacewa converted to give the visitors a 7-0 lead.

Leinster's Garry Ringrose scores the first try of the game
Image: ©INPHO/James Crombie

Northampton made it easy for their visitors giving away a couple of sloppy penalties as Leinster kept the pressure up.

The Irish province dominated at scrum-time and forced a penalty which Nacewa converted to give them a 10-0 lead.

Ross Byrne had to come into the action early as Joey Carbery injured his ankle in a tackle.

Leinster’s Joey Carbery is treated for an injury
Image: ©INPHO/Billy Stickland 

The hosts came back though as the half wore on and Meyler slotted a penalty after Adam Byrne was pinged for holding-on in the tackle.

The home side had a couple of chances to score a try of their own but the pedestrian pace of their backline meant Leinster were able to fan across and snuff out any danger.

Sean O'Brien had a try correctly chalked off due to a knock-on in the build up and the teams went into the break with the visitors leading 10-3.

Northampton stormed out after the break doing to Leinster what the Irish side had done to them in the first half.

An excellent break from JJ Hanrahan, was recycled and Hanrahan floated a precise pass to Tuala who dotted down in the corner. Myler converted from the touchline to tie the scores at 10-10.

Nacewa slotted a long range penalty after Tom Wood was pinged for coming off his feet to make the scores 13-10 to the visitors.

Leinster upped the pace and after pressure at a maul, Sean O'Brien with the considerable help of Jamie Heaslip powered over. Nacewa added the extras to give Leinster a 20-10 lead.

Dylan Hartley's introduction to the home side didn't have the impact the Saint's were hoping for. His side gave away two scrum-penalties before recklessly throwing an open arm at Sean O'Brien's head. 

The England captain was given his marching orders and Leinster turned the screw.

Referee Jérôme Garcès red card Dylan Hartley of Northampton Saints
Image: ©INPHO/James Crombie

Leinster went deep into Northampton territory and Ross Byrne kicked a perfectly timed cross-field kick for Rory O'Loughlin to beat Ben Foden in the air to touch down in the corner. Leinster led 25-10 and went chasing a bonus point.

Leinster’s Rory O’Loughlin scores a try
Image: ©INPHO/Billy Stickland

The Irish province didn't let up and with Northampton on the attack, a turnover led to Gibson-Park running almost 50 metres to score under the posts. Nacewa added the extras to make to 32-10.

Nacewa, after being on the wrong end of a high tackle by Pisi, picked himself up to add a fifth and final try to bring the final score to 37-10. 

Leinster top the pool now and have the advantage of having two of their remaining three matches at home.