Mayo advance to the All-Ireland final with unconvincing display

Mayo were victorious on a scoreline of 2-13 to 0-14

Mayo advance to the All-Ireland final with unconvincing display

©INPHO/Lorraine O'Sullivan 

Two Mayo goals proved decisive in the end as Mayo advance to their first All-Ireland final since 2013, but Tipperary posed questions all the way.

A spirited second half display from Tipperary dragged them back into the tie after going in at half-time six points adrift of the Connacht finalists.

Frees from Michael Quinlivan cut through Mayo's lead, helped by Kevin O'Halloran who also found the target after the restart. Tipperary generated significant momentum through the opening stages of the second half while Mayo could only conjure one score after the restart.

A goal opportunity presented itself to the Premier County in the second period as well but David Clarke crucially stuck out his leg to parry it away and clear the danger.

But Stephen Rochford's side gradually found their composure, and a beautiful long distance strike from Colm Boyle eased them back into a three point lead. And when Conor O'Shea stroked the ball into the net inside the last six minutes, Mayo had booked their place in the All-Ireland final.

It was a game where momentum swung in favour of both teams in the first half.

Despite losing Robbie Kiely to a black card for a challenge on Cillian O'Connor, Tipperary looked comfortable in the opening phases of the game with Michael Quinlivan posing considerable problems for Mayo's Lee Keegan.

Philip Austin chipped in with a fisted point and Conor Sweeney had two to his credit before the half-time whistle.

Despite some early wobbles with regards their scoring navigation, Mayo dialled up the intensity after 20 minutes with a goal through Jason Doherty.

Keith Higgins executed a turnover in the middle of the field and swiftly launched a counter-attack before passing it into Doherty to poke it into the net.

From there, the game flowed in their direction until half-time. Seamus O'Shea dominated in midfield while Andy Moran posted four impressive points in the opening half. All six of Mayo's forwards had scored before half-time with only Conor Sweeney's second point interrupting the flow. 

Tipperary's second half response was key to the resilience they have exuded throughout this championship but their inexperience was exposed in the end.