Northern Ireland-based ex-Rangers forward Nacho Novo warned over threat to his life

He currently plays for Glentoran

BY Raf Diallo 15:09 Sunday 11 September 2016, 15:09 11 Sep 2016

Rangers' Nacho Novo launches his book "I Said No Thanks' at Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow. Picture by: Danny Lawson / PA Archive/Press Association Images

Former Glasgow Rangers forward Nacho Novo has been targeted by a death threat.

The Spanish striker, who now plays for Northern Irish Premiership side Glentoran, was warned by the PSNI about the threat to his life.

The Belfast Telegraph report that at one point the threat was regarded as "severe" but that status has since been reduced.

Glentoran also sent a statement to the newspaper, saying that, "When first contacted by the PSNI we were informed that the level of the threat was deemed to be 'high'. This has subsequently been reduced to 'low'".

The club's chairman also praised the player for continuing to play on despite the threat.

Stephen Henderson told The Sun on Sunday that, "We were contacted by the Police Service of Northern Ireland last week and informed a death threat had been made against one of our players. This is obviously a very serious situation and we gave the player as much help and support as we could. This included him missing training sessions in order to facilitate his own personal security."

Read the full Belfast Telegraph piece here.

 

 

News

Oisin Langan's view from Rio: 'You learn to accept early on you can’t do it all on your own'

20:21 Friday 9 September 2016 0 Minute Read
News

Wayne Rooney to remain as England captain under Sam Allardyce

11:39 Tuesday 30 August 2016 0 Minute Read
News

As it happened: Serbia 2-2 Ireland

21:35 Monday 5 September 2016 0 Minute Read
News

WATCH: Freak horse-racing incident sees jockey unseated by a flying golf ball

18:20 Friday 9 September 2016 0 Minute Read
Off The Ball

Newsletter

The very best bits of Off The Ball delivered every week