OCI says review into Rio ticketing postponed following 'threat of injunction'

OCI says Pat Hickey's lawyers 'have threatened to make an application for an injunction preventing the completion of the review'

BY Stephen McNeice 23:04 Wednesday 2 November 2016, 23:04 2 Nov 2016

Image: RollingNews.ie

The Olympic Council of Ireland says a review into ticketing arrangements at Rio 2016 will be postponed.

Its executive committee says the review - which is being carried out by Grant Thornton - will now be completed only following the conclusion of criminal proceedings against its president Pat Hickey in Brazil.

Mr Hickey has stepped aside from his role during the proceedings.

In a statement tonight, the OCI said: "This decision was taken following the receipt of a letter from Mr Hickey’s lawyers this week in which he threatened to make an application to the High Court for an injunction preventing the completion of the review. 

"The Executive Committee has decided not to incur the very significant additional cost of defending any such legal proceedings," it adds.

The statement also notes that a new executive committee will be elected during an extraordinary general meeting in January 2017.

Last week, the OCI said they will not view the independent report into the ticket arrangements for the Rio Olympics.

Instead, the report being carried out by Grant Thornton will be passed directly to Judge Carroll Moran who is leading the non-statutory inquiry into the ticketing arrangements.

Off The Ball

Newsletter

The very best bits of Off The Ball delivered every week