Exclusive: Darren Till confirms he was officially offered UFC title fight; says Woodley declined
Till says promotion officially offered the Liverpudlian a title shot20:44 Saturday 21 July 2018, 20:44 21 Jul 2018
UFC welterweight Darren Till has confirmed he was officially offered a welterweight title shot against champion Tyron Woodley.
Speculation has been rife that UFC interim champion Colby Covington refused to fight the Champion in September, hence paving the way for the Liverpudlian to step in and be granted the next 170lbs title shot.
Till spoke with Off the Ball in Dublin earlier this afternoon.
"I never said he wasn't going to fight. I just heard Colby was out. Apparently the dates don't match to what he wants. Apparently he was injured, that's what I heard. Whether it's true or not, I don't know, mate,' said Till.
The #2 ranked fighter says the promotion have officially offered him a shot at champion, Tyron Woodley.
"Yeah, the UFC offered me that fight. Then, I heard that Tyron has said no - he said that he didn't want the fight. I know as much as you. I don't really try to push the subject. I just want to know when my next fight is."
Till says he doesn't believe he deserves a title shot after his last victory and performance against Stephen Thompson. Till took a split decision win in his home town, last May.
The Liverpool based welterweight believes the Champion needs to make a firm statement regarding who his next opponent will be.
"This is down to Tyron Woodley. He can say who he wants to fight - just come out and say who you want to fight. You don't think anything, you are the champion. You can decide, mate. Like, at the end of the day, we are all chasing the title. We are all trying to be the best."
You can watch the interview in full above on our Youtube channel or subscribe here.
The very best bits delivered every weekSubscribe now