Remembering Ireland's 2009 Grand Slam win against Wales

Ireland face Wales in Cardiff this Friday night.

Remembering Ireland's 2009 Grand Slam win against Wales

Ronan O'Gara kicks the winning drop goal Mandatory Credit ©INPHO/Billy Stickland

On a Saturday night in March in 2009, Ireland ended a 61-year wait for a Grand Slam, and it came right down to the final kick of the game.

Ronan O'Gara had just edged us in front with a drop-goal, but a penalty to be taken by Stephen Jones threatened our grip of the Six Nations Championship, Triple Crown and the Grand Slam.

Sequence of Ireland scores 

Captain Brian O'Driscoll posted our first points shortly after half-time, with a try attempt that landed just inches inside the right side of the line. That put us 6-7 in front.

On 45 minutes, we extended our advantage when Ronan O'Gara punted the ball into the path of the pouncing Tommy Bowe who sprinted unopposed for the try-line.

Exchange of drop-goals

Stephen Jones reclaimed the lead for Wales with a 75th minute drop-goal. Two minutes later, Peter Stringer fed the ball out to O'Gara who chipped it over to restore Ireland's lead.

It looked as though the Grand Slam was secure, but an error at the ruck on Ireland's part, gifted Wales a chance to break Irish hearts.

Jones' misfortune

The distance was 48 metres to goal and the range was Gavin Henson territory. But his back was stiff and considering the weight of the kick, Stephen Jones deputised. 

He'd already converted a penalty from 49 metres out in the first half but by this stage he was exhausted. He obliged regardless, and elected to focus on the posts, rather than the significance of the kick.

The colour of the clock transitioned into red as he lined up the shot.

The kick came and the direction was good. Even the belly of the upward curve suggested the ball was angling well over the bar. But the roar of joy from the Welsh contingent and the impending disturbance to the 15-17 scoreline never arrived.

The flight of the ball dipped at the vital moment and the moment was ours to savour. Jones later admitted to The Guardian that he knew 'it was not going over.'

Relive all the drama of that momentous day here: