Rory McIlroy to play in US Open after overcoming injury troubles

The Northern Irishman has suffered from a rib injury earlier in the year

BY Sinéad Farrell 18:39 Sunday 4 June 2017, 18:39 4 Jun 2017

USA TODAY Network/SIPA USA/PA Images

Rory McIlroy has declared himself fit for the US Open, as he makes a comeback from a rib injury which has disrupted his season.

McIlroy is in pursuit of a fifth major title at the Erin Hills tournament, after withdrawing from the Memorial Tournament and skipping the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth.

He won the US Open in 2011, but failed to make the cut at last year's tournament.

Following a stint of recuperation at a hotel resort in Portugal, McIlroy says he feels confident that the time is right to get back into competitive action:

Speaking to reporters, the 28-year-old said:

"I am ready for Erin Hills and looking forward to playing there for the first time. The last few weeks have obviously been frustrating – I never like to miss events either on the PGA Tour or European Tour – but it was important I got back to a level of fitness where I felt like I could give myself the best possible chance at the US Open.

"As I have said many times before, majors will ultimately determine my golf career but I have had the rest of this busy season to consider as well.

"Every aspect of the facilities at Quinta do Lago has been first class. I can’t thank the people there enough for the way they have looked after me. I have been able to work on fitness and golf without any distractions at all."

News

Stampede in Turin injures fans after firecrackers let off

10:51 Sunday 4 June 2017 1 Minute Read
News

Jon Walters to captain Ireland against Uruguay

17:43 Sunday 4 June 2017 1 Minute Read
Off The Ball

Newsletter

The very best bits of Off The Ball delivered every week