Roscommon and Galway to do it all over again as late free gives Rossies a second chance

The game was played in horrendous conditions at Pearse Stadium

BY Robbie Dunne 15:44 Sunday 10 July 2016, 15:44 10 Jul 2016

Galway came close to claiming their first Connacht football title in poor conditions at Pearse Stadium on Sunday afternoon but Roscommon would not be beaten as they kicked two late scored to peg Galway level with the result being a replay next weekend.

The Tribesmen trailed for much of the game but went ahead when it mattered with a Damien Comer point after 57 minutes and looked to have enough about them to see the victory out as Roscommon failed to create chances and then failed to convert the few chances that they did create.

Roscommon had the wind in the first half but played right into Galway's hands as they operated in laborious fashion when mounting attacks on their opponents goal.

Aside from a goal from Enda Smith, the two sides were difficult to separate in the opening 35 and when the ref blew the whistle at half-time, Galway would have been delighted to be just three points down playing into a serious wind.

Galway came out in the second half and despite trailing by three, kicked the opening two scores and within 10 minutes of the restart were level.

Damian Comer kicked a couple of nice scores for Galway and was operating with purpose on Roscommon's 40. He kicked what looked like could be a vital score to put Galway ahead and substitute Adrian Varley kicked Galway two ahead before Cathal Cregg and Donie Shine from a free levelled matters in injury time.

The two sides will have to play each other again as the ref blew time on the match, which finished 1-10 to 0-13.


Harry Redknapp on his West Ham regret and taking Gareth Bale forward

14:44 Sunday 10 July 2016 0 Minute Read

"Words can't describe it" - Dublin's Sean Treacy jubilant after victory over Offaly

15:05 Thursday 7 July 2016 0 Minute Read
Off The Ball


The very best bits of Off The Ball delivered every week