SSE Airtricity League Round-up: Shamrock Rovers claim derby win

They saw off Bohemians while Cork City make it two wins from two

BY Raf Diallo 22:00 Friday 3 March 2017, 22:00 3 Mar 2017

Rovers' Brandon Miele celebrates scoring the first goal of the game with Trevor Clarke and Sean Boyd ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

Shamrock Rovers came out on top in their first derby of the season against rivals Bohemians with a 2-1 victory.

Both sides had come off the back of defeats from the opening weekend which made the fixture at the Tallaght Stadium particularly important as both sides looked to get on track quickly.

There were no goals in the opening half but excellent play from Rovers' Brandon Miele 13 minutes after the break made the difference.

A ball from the right was beautifully controlled by the player at the edge of the Bohs box, creating space for himself before firing in to make it 1-0.

Michael O'Connor doubled that lead with 17 minutes to go after good work from the left found the player in the box and he finished in off the crossbar.

Bohs did battle back on 90 minutes when Georgie Poynton converted from the penalty spot. But Rovers held on for the first win of the season while Bohs are yet to register a point on the board.

Finn Harps defenders struggle to cope with a ball moments before Bray Wanderers' Anthony Flood scores the first goal ©INPHO/Morgan Treacy

Cork City will be aiming to wrest the title from Dundalk this season and they made it two wins from two with a comfortable 4-0 home win over Galway United.

Sean Maguire continued his excellence up front by giving John Caulfield's side the lead on 15 minutes.

Ryan Delaney doubled that lead on 53 minutes, before further goals from Stephen Dooley and Connor Ellis put the icing on the cake.

The Carlisle Grounds were treated to an eight goal thriller as Bray Wanderers also made it two wins from two by beating Finn Harps 5-3 at home.

Early Anthony Flood and Gary McCabe goals had Bray in control but Ciaran O'Connor would pull one back for Finn Harps.

However, Aaron Greene's scored shortly before half time to leave Bray 3-1 up.

A Peter Cherrie own goal would see Finn Harps close the gap again but McCabe and Dylan Connolly scored twice for Bray to stretch their advantage before Ethan Boyle got a consolation third for the visitors. 

Drogheda United are another side to secure a maximum six points as they defeated St Patrick's Athletic 2-0 thanks to second half goals from Jake Hyland and Colm Deasy. It's two defeats from two for Pats.

The match between Derry City and Finn Harps was abandoned with the scores at 1-1 due to a floodlight failure at Maginn Park.


The Inter Milan Way: Their best eras follow the same pattern

15:12 Thursday 2 March 2017 2 Minute Read

Fútbol Focus: Luis Enrique plots his next revenge

13:55 Thursday 2 March 2017 4 Minute Read

Need betting tips for the weekend's action?

21:00 Friday 3 March 2017 1 Minute Read

Kevin Kilbane: My Celtic dream and how I almost returned to Preston

17:55 Friday 3 March 2017 4 Minute Read
Off The Ball


The very best bits of Off The Ball delivered every week