Sam Allardyce refuses to rule out John Terry return to England set-up
The Chelsea defender retired from international football in 201215:39 Tuesday 23 August 2016, 15:39 23 Aug 2016
Sam Allardyce is not ruling out a return for John Terry to the England national team ahead of the World Cup 2018 qualifiers that start this fall.
The newly installed England boss admits that the Chelsea defender, who announced his retirement from international football in 2012, could have a place in the squad should he come out of retirement.
The 35-year-old left the England set-up in the wake of allegations that the Chelsea captain had racially abused Queens Park Rangers’ Anton Ferdinand in 2012.
English football’s governing body, the FA, found him guilty of the charge and fined him £220,000, as well as banning him for four games.
Asked whether a return would be possible for him to return to the squad Allardyce said: "Maybe so. I think it depends on what John said.
"Maybe if I get the opportunity I might have to give him a ring but until I come to that selection or that process, we’ll wait and see.
"I don’t know what the political side of that might mean, if there is a political side. I’ll have to have that conversation if I feel that John Terry may be a possibility."
Terry is no stranger to controversy off of the pitch and has previously been arrested for an alleged brawl at a London nightclub and previously fell out with former team-mate Wayne Bridge for having an affair with his wife at the time, Vanessa Perroncel. Bridge, as a result, quit the national team.
The very best bits delivered every weekSubscribe now