Scotland beat Wales at Murrayfield

The game finished 29-13, with the Scots remaining on course for a Triple Crown

BY Simon Maguire 16:37 Saturday 25 February 2017, 16:37 25 Feb 2017

Scotland's Tommy Seymour scores a try despite efforts from Scott Williams of Wales. Image: ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

Scotland got their Six Nations Championship back on track with a surprise 29-13 victory over Wales at Murrayfield.

The opening passages were sloppy from both sides as they attempted to rebound from losses in their last outings.

It was the home side who opened the scoring after they were awarded a penalty in front of the posts, from which Finn Russell slotted over.

Wales slowly worked their way into the game and Leigh Halfpenny brought the scores level with a penalty of his own.

Ross Moriarty made his presence felt with the odd break as Wales began to get more front-foot ball. A quick tap by Rhys Webb on the Scottish 22 created panic in the home defence which sucked defenders in.

The scrum-half spread the ball wide and it eventually found Liam Williams who raced in in the corner. Halfpenny converted from the touchline and the visitors led 10-3.

Wales were almost in again as Williams broke down the wing only for Webb to illegally hold back Tommy Seymour and John Lacy came back for a penalty near half-way.

Scotland made their way up the field and another Russell penalty brought the scores to 6-10 after 29 minutes.

Moments later Sam Warburton showed his class on the ground winning a penalty and Scotland were called up for not releasing, which Halfpenny duly converted to make it 13-6 to Wales.

Halfpenny missed an opportunity to extend the Welsh lead after his attempt on goal stayed right of the posts. 

A quick Scottish line-out saw Hogg create chaos in the Welsh defence and forced the visitors to cough up a penalty in the last play of the half. Russell slotted it over to leave the scores at 13-9 at the break.

While Wales were arguably the better team in the first half, the scoreboard didn't reflect their dominance and Scotland punished them at the start of the second.

Tommy Seymour snuck over in the corner in the 43rd minutes despite the best efforts of Scott Williams who almost forced him into touch. Russell converted off the post to give Scotland a 16-13 lead.

Minutes later, Jonathan Davies took a brilliant line as he broke through the Scottish defence only for Webb to knock-on when he passed up front the deck.

A 54th minute Russell penalty stretched the lead to 19-13. Webb also had a try ruled out after his foot slipped into touch when he was tackled by Tim Visser after taking advantage of a messy home scrum.

Wales began to spread the ball as the possibility that they might lose a match they should have been well in control of  and was in danger of slipping away. 

Instead, Scotland upped the ante and quick passes from Russell and Hogg found Visser out wide who cantered over unopposed to extend the Scottish lead. Russell converted to bring the scores out to 26-13 with just over 10 minutes remaining.

Scotland's Tim Visser runs in a try. Image: ©INPHO/Ryan Byrne

The Murrayfield faithful broke into song as a long awaited win over the Welsh was finally becoming a reality.

Another Russell penalty in the 73rd minute sealed a famous win for the home side and keeps them on course for a Triple Crown showdown with England in Twickenham in two weeks time.  

Off The Ball


The very best bits of Off The Ball delivered every week