Shels crowned WFAI Cup champs as they dismantle Wexford Youths 5-0

Catch the goals and match report from today's WFAI Cup final

Shels crowned WFAI Cup champs as they dismantle Wexford Youths 5-0

Photo Credit: ©INPHO/Donall Farmer

Shelbourne were today crowned champions of the Womens FAI Cup as they made light work of Wexford Youths in a 5-0 hammering.

A threat from the opening minute, dispossessing Wexford almost instantly from tip-off before winning a free-kick on the edge of the box. While that opportunity failed to lead to anything, the tempo at which the Dublin side would play was set.

Under pressure from Shelbourne's high-pressing, Wexford found it tough to get out of their box early on. Eventually finding their feet, the south-eastern club began to create some chances of their own through through Aisling Frawley and Emma Hansberry.

Shelbourne soon found their rhythm again, with Leanne Kiernan winning a penalty after 17 minutes. Noelle Murphy took the spot kick but Sophie Lenehan in goals for Wexford was equal to the strike, saving low to her left. 

Murphy didn't have to wait long for redemption though, giving her side a deserved lead just 13 minutes later.
It took just four minutes for Leanne Kiernan to grab her first of the day and Shelbourne's second as she took the ball around the keeper for a tap in following a defence-splitting pass from Gloria Douglas.

The game was effectively over ten minutes later as Kiernan went through for her second and Shels' third. After a dominant half from the Dublin side, Kiernan's goal was a hammer blow for Wexford, who were seconds away from a half-time break and a chance to regroup.

Wexford did manage to up their game early in the second half, but Shelbourne were able to weather the storm before striking back in the 64th minute as Gloria Douglas' header crashed off the post before falling into the net as Wexford's keeper Sophie Lenehan failed to get more than a finger-tip to it.

Shelbourne made it 5-0 fourteen minutes later as Leanne Kiernan secured her hat-trick from the spot as she ended any chance of a late revival from the opposition.

A dominant display on the day from the champions, and a memorable one for hat-tick hero Leanne Kiernan who spoke to RTE in her post-game interview.

Captain Pearl Slattery lifted the trophy after her teammates collected their medals, a redemptive moment for the side who reversed the result of last year's final by beating their victors in this fixture last season.