Tiger Woods withdraws from The Open

The 40-year-old has missed three consecutive majors for the first time in his career

BY Robbie Dunne 20:46 Friday 1 July 2016, 20:46 1 Jul 2016

Tiger Woods has withdrawn from this month's Open Championship at Royal Troon.

The 14-time major winner has been struggling with a back problem and hasn't played since August.

Last week Woods said he was making progress, but he wasn't ready to play four days in a row.

He has not played this having undergone back surgery last year. He has gone down the surgical route three times since 2014.

By not playing at Royal Troon, Woods will miss a third straight major for the first time in his professional career.

"I keep getting physically better. I just hope that everything clicks in and I can do it sooner rather than later," he said a week ago.

"I guess I still need to get in golf shape. It's about four, five days in a row.

"I just need to get to where strength-wise I can handle the workload of playing out here on a weekly basis, practising after round, not having to go ice my back and all that kind of stuff.

"I'm not quite there yet. I've pushed through a lot of injuries and rehabs before. I'm trying to do it correctly at this time."

 

News

Germany finally get over Italy hoodoo after edging through terrible penalty shootout

22:53 Saturday 2 July 2016 0 Minute Read
News

Enda McGinley paints a grim picture of Armagh's chances against Laois

19:56 Friday 1 July 2016 0 Minute Read
News

Steven Gerrard's excuse for England's defeat explains why he never won the Premier League title

19:51 Friday 1 July 2016 0 Minute Read
News

"Zlatan needs no introduction" says Mourinho as he introduces Ibrahimovic to Man United

18:10 Friday 1 July 2016 0 Minute Read
Off The Ball

Newsletter

The very best bits of Off The Ball delivered every week