Tipperary book place in All-Ireland final with hard-fought victory over Galway

The Premier County ran out one point winners over Galway at Croke Park


Image: ©INPHO/Cathal Noonan 

Tipperary 2-19

Galway 2-18

Two second half goals in a frantic four minute spell secured Tipperary a hard fought victory over Galway and booked their spot in the All-Ireland final.

The Premier County will now come up against defending champions Kilkenny in three weeks time as they go in search of a first All-Ireland since 2010.

Second half substitute John O'Dwyer and John McGrath got the goals either side of the hour mark and proved enough to see Tipperary overcome Micheál Donoghue's side.

The game began at a pace you would expect of such an occasion, runners ferociously chasing down loose ball and even half chances were being converted with relative ease.

Joe Canning set the tone for the game with the opening score, high effort over the shoulder was enough of a sign that he meant business. His was followed by Noel McGrath who was a commanding presence in the opening stages and after nine minutes the game really sparked into life.

Conor Cooney pulled outside the box after receiving a pass and his few steps backwards afforded him a few extra yards to drill a low shot past Darren Gleeson.

The goal came as a timely boost for the Tribesmen who attempted to make the most of their momentum but quick-fire points from Tipp cut their lead to just one. 

Noel McGrath could have put his side ahead when he picked up a high hopeful ball and drove at the Galway defence. He was unable to keep his shot down and rather improbably rattled the crossbar. 

Conor Cooney celebrates his first half goal. Image: ©INPHO/Tommy Dickson 

The two sides continued to trade scores, Canning and Callanan put on a exhibition of free taking with the Tipp forward in particular showing incredible accuracy and consistency from the placed ball. 

Cooney was almost in for a second goal opportunity but was hooked wonderfully well by Padraic Maher to keep the gap two points in favour of Galway at the break. Whatever positivity came of the lead may have taken a substantial knock as just before the break, Canning went down with a hamstring injury.

The Galway forward shipped a strong shoulder from Maher earlier in the game, but was unable to carry on after the interval.

Cyril Donnellan came in to replace Galway's star forward in the second period with Conor Cooney assuming responsibility for frees.

The two sides continued to trade scores before Galway looked to have landed a hammer blow on Michael Ryan's side.

Joseph Cooney cut out a slack pass in the Tipperary defence and drove toward goal before unleashing a low drive shot for Galway's second goal of the game.

At this point, O'Dwyer came into the fold and put further impetus in the Tipperary attack. A four minute spell on the hour mark was enough to put Tipperary in the driving seat.

First, O'Dwyer picked up the ball to the right hand side of the goal and had only one thing on his mind as he sprinted towards goal. He rifled his shot into the ground, allowing the ball to bounce under Colm Callanan and into the net.

Just minutes later their goal tally was doubled through John McGrath. He lost his man just outside the Galway box and rode the challenge of keeper Callanan before scoring into an empty net.

From here it was a nip and tuck finish, but Tipperary had enough in reserve to see them over the line to set up a replay of the 2014 final.