Transfer Talk: Chelsea planning late scramble before Wednesday's transfer deadline
From done deals to paper talk, we bring you the best of the day's transfer news09:47 Saturday 27 August 2016, 9:47 27 Aug 2016
Antonio Conte has gotten off to a flying start in the Premier League, picking up two wins from two in his maiden season in England.
Things are looking rosy in London once again, but the Italian is still scrambling to complete a number of deals before the transfer window closes on Wednesday.
The Daily Mirror report that Chelsea are looking to former Bolton defender Marcos Alonso to bolster their defensive options. The 25-year-old has been linked with a club in a deal worth £17m and would offer cover from preferred starter, Cesar Azpilicueta.
Fiorentina are expected to hold out for the full fee after Chelsea reportedly set the Spaniard as their first choice over Jonas Hector of Cologne and Wolfsburg's Ricardo Rodriguez.
Marcos Alonso Mendoza celebrates after scoring during a Serie A match between Fiorentina and Napoli at the Artemio Franchi. Image: Fabrizio Giovannozzi / AP/Press Association Images
Conte has also joined the hunt for Inter's Marcelo Brozovic, according to the Daily Express. Arsenal are also said to be in the running for his signature, after the 23-year-old signed a permanent deal in Italy earlier this year.
"It’s true, there are many options and we are talking about some big European clubs," Brozovic's agent told Croatian outlet Index. "I heard that Chelsea representatives are in Milan and that Arsenal are also prepared to sign him.
"Inter are pushing to sell to one of these two clubs who are prepared to pay a sum that satisfies all concerned. However, I am currently in Zagreb and there’s plenty of time before transfer deadline day.
"The matter is not so urgent and until Marcelo signs a contract with another club, he remains an Inter player."
Meanwhile, Sunderland have been linked with Joe Hart after the news of Vito Mannone's injury this week.
David Moyes side have lost their opening two games of the season and now look to replace their first choice goalkeeper after the former Arsenal stopper suffered elbow ligament damage.
The Daily Mail report that Manchester City are said to be willing to help pay Hart's £120,000-per-week wages and would offer a way out for the England number one who is clearly not favoured in the current City squad with the arrival of Claudio Bravo.
The very best bits delivered every weekSubscribe now