"Bye, bye FIFA" - Michel Platini confirms withdrawal from election race
Frenchman is serving an eight-year ban from football18:52 Thursday 7 January 2016, 18:52 7 Jan 2016
UEFA boss Michel Platini has announced that he is no longer in the race to become the new FIFA president.
The Frenchman is currently serving an eight year ban from world football's governing body and as a result is not officially recognised as a candidate to replace Sepp Blatter.
The former France footballing great had still insisted he wanted to be considered in the vote next month but now accepts the need to withdraw.
He told The Associated Press that the February election deadline makes it impossible for him to stand, although he still intends to fight his ban from the sport.
"I'm withdrawing from the race for Fifa presidency. The timing is not good for me. I don't have the means to fight on equal terms with the other candidates," he said.
"I have not been given the chance to play the game. Bye bye Fifa, bye bye Fifa presidency."
UEFA's candidate for the FIFA top job is general secretary Gianni Infantino in a five-person race for the role.
He goes up against Prince Ali of Jordan, who lost to Blatter in last year's election, as well as ex FIFA official Jerome Champagne, South Africa's Tokyo Sexwale and Asian Football Confederation president Sheikh Salman.
The very best bits delivered every weekSubscribe now