WATCH: Michael Bisping retains UFC middleweight title with decision victory over Dan Henderson
Bisping was the headline bout at UFC 204 in Manchester09:42 Sunday 9 October 2016, 9:42 9 Oct 2016
The Manchester Arena celebrated the victorious return Michael Bisping last night as the Briton defended his UFC middleweight title against American veteran Dan Henderson.
The 37-year-old appeared in his first title defence since dethroning Luke Rockhold at UFC 199 in June and earned a unanimous decision victory in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Henderson had the better of the opening exchanges, conceding the centre of the octagon but managed to land the more effective opening shots. The 46-year-old landed an overhand right during the opening round which knocked Bisping to the floor, but the American couldn't finish the fight as Bisping scrambled to safety.
The defending champion gathered himself in the second round, dictating the pace of the fight landed a right which connected with the jaw of Henderson. The American bounced back with a counter punch and dropped Bisping to his back once again with another overhand right.
As the two fighters continued to deteriorate, Bisping stepped up the pace and despite one or two misplaced kicks, he advanced on Henderson who began breathing heavily.
Bisping saw out the final round, grappling to ensure there would be no final round finishes.
UFC 204 Main Card results
- Michael Bisping def. Dan Henderson by unanimous decision (48-47, 48-47, 49-46)
- Gegard Mousasi def. Vitor Belfort by TKO (2:43 of the second round)
- Jimi Manuwa def. Ovince Saint Preux by KO (2:38 of the second round)
- Stefan Struve def. Daniel Omielanczuk via submission (1:41 of the second round)
- Mirsad Bektic def. Russell Doane via submission (4:22 of the first round)
The very best bits delivered every weekSubscribe now