Wenger confirms Ozil and Sanchez Arsenal talks on hold
The club will wait until the summer before restarting contract negotiations16:51 Wednesday 22 March 2017, 16:51 22 Mar 2017
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says contract talks with their leading attacking players Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil have been put on hold.
Both players have contracts that are due to expire in 15 months time and coupled with uncertainty around the club regarding both on the field form and the future of Wenger, speculation has mounted that there is a possibility that the duo could depart.
Wenger told broadcaster beIN Sports that there is no agreement with the pair, so the club will now wait until the end of the season to talk again.
“At the moment we have not got an agreement. We have decided to focus on the end of the season and talk about it in the summer," he said.
"It is the same situation with Ozil because once you don’t find an agreement and it lasts, it is not good so it is better you get it out and sit down in the summer.”
Wenger himself has a two year contract on the table from the club but has not revealed whether he intends to sign it and prolong his 20 year career at the club or if he intends to step away from the Gunners.
Ozil has previously stated that his own situation is tied to that of Wenger. The Germany international has stated that the Frenchman staying at Arsenal would encourage him to remain.
"The club knows that I am here most of all because of Arsène Wenger. He is the one who signed me and he is the one whose trust I have," Ozil told Kicker magazine.
The very best bits delivered every weekSubscribe now