White House issues statement on Trump's round with McIlroy
The world number three was snapped alongside the US President17:07 Tuesday 21 February 2017, 17:07 21 Feb 2017
Rory McIlroy was back in the headlines yesterday after being snapped alongside US President Donald Trump after playing a round of golf.
The pair shared 18 holes and speaking to No Laying Up, McIlroy admitted he only got asked to play with Mr. Trump hours before the teed off. He added that Trump "probably shot around 80. He’s a decent player for a guy in his 70's!"
The fact that McIlroy said that he and President Trump had played 18 rounds went against the White House line that the US commander in chief - for a third week in a row gracing the golf course - played "a couple of holes".
In response White House officials issued a statement as to how much golf had been played.
"As stated yesterday the President played golf," they said in a statement. "He intended to play a few holes and decided to play longer.
"He also had a full day of meetings, calls and interviews for the new NSA, which he is continuing today before returning to Washington D.C tonight."
WH sends this statement on POTUS' Sunday golf outing pic.twitter.com/zOhSuwp795— Mike Memoli (@mikememoli) February 20, 2017
McIlroy continues to recover from a rib injury and is hoping to return for the WGC-Mexico Championship next month.
The very best bits delivered every weekSubscribe now