Will La Liga's new television deal level the playing field?

Graham Hunter spoke to Off the Ball about the deal

BY Daniel Kelly 11:31 Friday 4 December 2015, 11:31 4 Dec 2015

Picture by: Adam Davy / EMPICS Sport

Earlier this week, it was announced that there was a new domestic television rights deal for La Liga games in Spain. The three-year deal is worth over €2.6billion.

On last night's Off the Ball, Graham Hunter spoke to Ger about whether the deal will help close the gap between the top and bottom of the table in Spain? Previously, Spanish clubs negotiated tv deals by themselves. That meant Barcelona and Real Madrid were able to get a disproportionate amount of money.

The new system sees 10% of the money go to Second Division clubs. Of the remaining 90%, half is split equally amongst all 20 La Liga clubs. Another quarter is based on league results for the previous five seasons.

Hunter thinks the deal may not help the smaller clubs close the gap on Real Madrid and Barcelona. "This is a move to gain a bigger general pie, so that the big clubs get more, but the smaller clubs get significantly more than they were getting". He added that the money on offer was still behind what is on offer to Premier League clubs.

Off The Ball


The very best bits of Off The Ball delivered every week