Is enough being done to stamp out acts of violence in GAA? James Masters shares his experience
Former Cork star speaks to Off The Ball about being on the end of a violent incident and the aftermath21:00 Wednesday 2 December 2015, 21:00 2 Dec 2015
"I was the victim of it a couple of years ago. It was running 30-40 yards, my back turned, a punch into the face and I fell and then there was a follow-up kick."
That was former Cork inter-county star James Masters on Off The Ball tonight as he recounted his experience of being on the receiving end of unprovoked violence on the pitch in 2011, which left him with a broken jaw and ensuing medical complications.
But as he continued, the violence itself was only one side of the story.
"Maybe a week or two later and [the aggressor] had lined out then with the club in the hurling and I thought it was all wrong," said the Nemo Rangers club man to Ger, Joe and Wooly.
"I only heard it through the grapevine then afterwards that down in Cork, if you get suspended as far as I know in football, you can still play the hurling. So within a week or two he lined out with the club in hurling. I thought that was all wrong."
Masters then took the decision to take his aggressor to court, reasoning that "it was an assault more so than anything on the GAA pitch".
"I didn't get any word from the GAA," he explained as he discussed the process of going down the legal route which ended with the player in question receiving a fine, while he also said that he would not have gone to court if the issue had been dealt with strongly at the time by the GAA.
The very best bits delivered every weekSubscribe now