Live

LIVE: Newsround

07:00 PM-07:30 PM

LIVE: Newsround
Advertisement

Sport

Mickey Quinn unsure on his Longford future after Emmet Óg’s DRA victory

Mickey Quinn says he's still unsure whether he'll play inter-county football for Longford again a...



Mickey Quinn says he's still unsure whether he'll play inter-county football for Longford again and admits the saga between his club Emmet Óg Killoe and Longford County Board has left a "bitter taste". 

On Sunday night the Disputes Resolution Authority announced that they had quashed the 48-week ban handed to Killoe by Longford's Hearings Committee stemming from an unpaid 750 Euro fine.

"There's no point saying that everything's rosy," Quinn told Eoin Sheahan and Shane Hannon on this morning's OTB AM when asked about the relationship between his club and Longford's executive.  "I've said that it's left a bit of a bitter taste and maybe that's a bit too strong of a word but it does.

"There's no point being naive and saying let's draw a line in the sand and move on and everything's hunky dory now, it isn't. There's got to be things improved on and worked on to try and rebuild that relationship again.

"If we can past this and get back to playing football then hopefully it'll be a distant memory soon and we can all move on. We're quite happy to get to Friday and play our last group game and see from there."

Emmet Óg were hit with the suspension for not fielding in an under-16 county football final earlier this year and Mickey Quinn feels that dispute will now also need to be addressed.

"The fine and the ban was an outcome from the original problem so that's something that still has to be addressed and sorted in some shape or form by either Longford GAA or higher up, so that's something the needs to be sorted out behind the scenes while the football side of things carries on.

"All the time and effort to get past this has been huge and you'd hope that the club will be stronger for it when we come out the other side.

Players from the club could have been blocked from playing football at third-level next season had the ban been upheld and the former Essendon player says it's a relief that their scholarships won't be affected.

"A few lads got their Leaving Cert results and they're getting CAO offers so to get the good news on Sunday evening that the ban has been lifted will have been a big weight off their shoulders.

"They can now go off to college and so something that they love doing alongside like minded people."

OTB AM is brought to you in association with Gillette | #MadeOfWhatMatters

Download the brand new OffTheBall App in the Play Store & App Store right now! We've got you covered!

Subscribe to OffTheBall's YouTube channel for more videos, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for the latest sporting news and content.


Read more about

Emmet Óg Killoe Longford Mickey Quinn