Former Ireland captain Niamh Briggs and Ireland 7s boss Anthony Eddy are part of the steering group considering the possibility of launching a women's Lions tour.
They'll discuss the financial viability of establishing a British and Irish representative team, look at suitable opposition and determine where a tour could fit into the calendar.
The study will be funded by insurance firm Royal London, who are the ‘Principal Partner’ of the women’s Lions programme..
“I believe a Women’s Lions team is a huge opportunity, but there are a number of challenges to consider when looking to create a successful women’s set-up," Lions managing director, Ben Calveley, said.
"Financial viability, suitable opposition and appropriate scheduling in the women’s rugby calendar will all need rigorous analysis, research and careful consideration.
“We are very grateful to be working with a purpose-driven organisation like Royal London on this initiative. Our broader commercial family – including Sky, Vodafone and Canterbury – have also committed to provide their expertise and play an active role in the feasibility analysis.”
Former Lion Ieuan Evans, who will chair the group, added: “Women’s rugby is experiencing unprecedented growth around the world with participation levels continuing to increase every year.
“A Women’s Lions team is a big opportunity for the women’s game, and I am looking forward to working with the Steering Group to assess its viability.”
Full steering group:
- Ieuan Evans MBE (Chair) – British & Irish Lion and The British & Irish Lions board member
- Ben Calveley – managing director, The British & Irish Lions
- Susie Logan – group chief marketing Officer, Royal London
- Joanna Manning-Cooper – group director of corporate affairs, Sky
- Max Taylor – consumer director, Vodafone
- Simon Rowe – head of global sports marketing, Canterbury
- Sue Day MBE – chief operating & financial officer, RFU and RFU Board, Rugby Football Union
- Anthony Eddy – director of Sevens and women’s rugby, Irish Rugby Football Union
- Gemma Fay – head of girls & women’s strategy, Scottish Rugby
- Hannah John – women’s high-performance lead (acting), Welsh Rugby Union
- Nicky Ponsford – women’s high-performance manager, World Rugby
- Shaunagh Brown – senior player, Harlequins Women and England
- Niamh Briggs – senior player, Munster and Ireland, club coach and Garda Síochána (Police) Officer
Team of Us. Everyone In.
Vodafone. The main sponsor of the Irish Rugby Team