Live

Repeat: OTB Breakfast

12:00 AM-02:00 AM

Repeat: OTB Breakfast
Advertisement

Sport

IRFU confirm investigation into Connacht's Energia Park facilities

The IRFU have confirmed they are investigating the circumstances around Connacht and Ulster's cha...



The IRFU have confirmed they are investigating the circumstances around Connacht and Ulster's changing facilities at Energia Park. 

The association apologised earlier this week, after footage emerged on social media of the squalid facilities the provinces had to use ahead of their interprovincial derby.

Temporary changing areas were erected close to large bins in a derelict area of the Donnybrook stadium.

Connacht had accepted the IRFU's apology, but in a statement on Wednesday requested a review into the decision-making process that led to them having to use the facilities.

They said, "The circumstances on Saturday highlight there is still much work to be done.

"More young girls got to see women's rugby on TG4 over the last three weeks and hopefully we have inspired them to take up the game and fall in love with the sport that we love."

Responding to the Connacht statement on Wednesday night, the IRFU said: "Based on the request by Connacht players the IRFU confirms: The IRFU are appalled this situation arose & have already commenced a review of the circumstances that led to the clearly unacceptable location of players temporary changing facilities, at Energia Park last Saturday.

"We have sought reports from Leinster & Connacht to establish how this situation could have occurred, why it was not identified as an issue and rectified in the hours before the players arrived."

Connacht men's back row Paul Boyle spoke in support of his female colleagues on Wednesday saying, "We spoke about it ourselves in the changing room that we wouldn't put up for it.

"It's not good enough.

"I suppose, from a bigger level, the apology has been made. Hopefully it won't happen again. Hopefully there's dressing rooms available and the COVID stuff goes away.

"But if a scenario like that was to happen again, hopefully the powers-that-be make the right decision and don't have the guys there."

Raducanu runs riot | Djokovic misses out on calendar slam | Luke Jensen

Download the brand new OffTheBall App in the Play Store & App Store right now! We've got you covered!

Subscribe to OffTheBall's YouTube channel for more videos, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for the latest sporting news and content.


Read more about

Connacht Connacht Women Energia Park