Live

Highlights on Off The Ball

07:00 AM-01:00 PM

Highlights on Off The Ball
Advertisement

Sport

Van Graan "surprisingly busy" as Kleyn and Marshall return to fitness

Munster head coach Johann van Graan says his players will continue to train from home for the nex...



Munster head coach Johann van Graan says his players will continue to train from home for the next month.

The Guinness PRO14 is suspended indefinitely as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Munster last played on February 29 - a 29-10 win at home to the Scarlets, but have seen all games since then postponed.

Despite this period of inactivity, Munster head coach Johann van Graan says he's been keeping busy.

Addressing the Munster Rugby Supporters Club via video, Van Graan said, "It's been a surprisingly busy time to co-ordinate this whole project, if I can call it that, in terms of managing 70 players and 30 management from your living room basically, whilst balancing it with your family."

Van Graan also outlined the players' training patterns while away from one another, "We've broken down this eight-week block into two blocks of four.

"They've trained away for the first three weeks and actually are currently on a bye-week.

"They'll resume training again for three weeks and then we'll have another week away.

"What I mean by 'away' is, obviously guys are at home but just away from training, away from logging in, doing your monitoring, doing your medical check-ups, touching base with coaches and most importantly, touching base with everyone in our working environment."

Jean Kleyn and Rhys Marshall have both reached the point where they can resume training.

Ireland lock Kleyn was forced to miss the start of the Six Nations with a neck injury sustained in January.

While Marshall has been out of action since undergoing knee surgery in early December.

Joey Carbery (wrist/ankle), Tadhg Beirne (ankle), Brian Scott (foot) and Tyler Bleyendaal (neck) are all continuing to rehab their respective issues.

As regards returning to play, simply, Van Graan says the province will do as they're told, "We will continue following the government guidelines. It’s important that we look after all of our people, not only Munster Rugby but all of our community.

"From a personal point of view, it’s been great to spend some time at home. In my 17 years in professional rugby, this is the longest time I have spent at home so it’s been great to spend some extra time with my family.

"We’re going to do everything we can to come out of this experience better and make sure we grow and learn, not only as a team but as individuals.

"We can’t wait to get back onto the training pitch and to celebrate what rugby is about, specifically that community aspect and playing in front of our supporters at Irish Independent Park and Thomond Park."

Download the brand new OffTheBall App in the Play Store & App Store right now! We've got you covered!

Subscribe to OffTheBall's YouTube channel for more videos, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for the latest sporting news and content.


Read more about

Coronavirus Covid-19 Guinness Pro14 Jean Kleyn Joey Carbery Johann Van Graan Munster Rhys Marshall Tadhg Beirne