Highlights on Off The Ball

02:00 PM-06:00 PM

Highlights on Off The Ball

Buckley strike decides dreary Dublin derby

A Keith Buckley cracker was the only goal in a dull Dublin derby as Keith Long's side remain unbe...

Buckley strike decides dreary...

Buckley strike decides dreary Dublin derby

A Keith Buckley cracker was the only goal in a dull Dublin derby as Keith Long's side remain unbeaten at Dalymount Park this season.

Buckley's goal came on the 43rd minute when a Keith Ward shot was saved by Brendan Clarke, the ball rebounded out to the midfielder and not even the two St Pat's players on the line could stop his curled effort.

The sides were greeted by another sell-out game further adding to the 11.3% increase of attendances on this time last season but the football on display in the throughout didn't live up to the expectations.

St Pat's started with intent and could have found the lead just five minutes into the game when Rhys McCabe - who looked offside - was played through by a header from Brandon Miele, but the former Sligo midfielder couldn't finish passed James Talbot in the Bohs goal.

Twenty minutes without a chance and like the Number 9 bus which runs through Phibsboro - two came at the same time.

Both fell to Dinny Corcoran who was initially played through on goal by a fabulous side-footed pass from Keith Ward, his bending effort was cleared by Simon Madden whose header landed straight at the feet of the Bohs striker, but the St Pat's defence did enough to get the ball clear for a second time.

The chance seemed to spark something within the home side - who had been sitting very deep for the early stages of the game - as they as came closest to opening the scoring with an array of chances.

The best came from a free-kick from 25 yards out when Chris Forrester gave away a needless foul just outside the penalty box. He would have been left with red-faced had the post not stopped Kevin Devaney's effort.

The deadlock was finally broken two minutes from the break and once again Keith Ward had a role to play in the build-up. A rebounded shot landed perfectly for the winger inside the penalty box, his shot was saved by Clarke in goal, but there was no stopping Keith Buckley's follow up effort, which nestled in the top left corner of the net.

As anti-John Delaney chants rang out throughout the entirety of Dalymount Park, St Pat's went in search of an equalising goal early in the second half.

Much like the opening stages of the game though, it was game lacking in energy as much as chances.

Things got even worse for the trailing Saints side when their talisman upfront Mikey Drennan was sent off with 15 minutes left in the game for dissent, virtually wiping out any outlet up front and making chances of an equalising goal slim.

Bohs were in their comfort zone from here on, sitting deep, drawing fouls and working on the counter attack to close out the game.

That's now five games without a win for Harry Kenny's side - a worrying run of form. For Bohs though, Dalymount is becoming a real fortress for Keith Long's side who are yet to lose a game at Dalyers.

BOHEMIANS:  James Talbot, Derek Pender, Darragh Leahy, Rob Cornwall, Dinny Corcoran, Kevin Devaney (OFF Danny Mandroiu 85'), Keith Ward, Danny Grant, Conor Livingston (OFF Ryan Swan 90+2), Keith Buckley, James Finnerty.

ST PATRICK"S ATHLETIC: Brendan Clarke, David Webster, Ian Birmingham, Lee Desmond, Conor Clifford, Mikey Drennan, Brandon Miele (OFF Jamie Lennon 40'), Simon Madden, Dean Clarke, Chris Forrester (OFF James Dooley 76'), Rhys McCabe (OFF Gary Shaw 68').

Download the brand new OffTheBall App in the Play Store & App Store right now! We've got you covered!

Subscribe to OffTheBall's YouTube channel for more videos, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for the latest sporting news and content.

Read more about

Bohemians Dalymount Park Harry Kenny Keith Long League Of Ireland Mikey Drennan Off The Ball St Patrick's Athletic