Ciaran Clark says he hasn't been in contact with his Irish teammate Richie Keogh but that everyone in the squad is thinking of the former Derby County centre-back.
Keogh was sacked by Derby County last month after his involvement in a drunk driving incident with teammates Tom Lawrence and Mason Bennett.
Keogh was knocked unconscious during the crash and suffered a serious injury to his knee that could see him sidelined from football until December next year.
It was reported that the 33-year-old was sacked after refusing to take a considerable pay cut, but it was later cited that Keogh's failure to wear a seatbelt was the club's reason for the dismissal.
Clark was asked on Wednesday if he had any recent contact with Keogh since the incident.
"I haven't talked to him recently. I'm sure he's got a lot of people on his case at the minute and I just felt like it was best to leave him to himself at this moment.
"It's obviously a sad situation what's happened and everyone sends their best to Richie and thats all I can really say at the minute."
Clark also talked about his success of breaking into the Newcastle this season and revealed that he had considered leaving the club for first-team opportunities.
"It was something I was thinking about in the summer.
"I didn't know what the situation would be with the club manager and then obviously Steve [Bruce] came in late in preseason and there wasn't much time to do anything and I think he wanted to take a look at everyone he had in the squad.
"I'd had a chat with him and I just said this season I'd love to be playing games.
"I've had a couple of years now where I've been in the team and out of the team and it's been a bit hit and miss. I just said that I'd love to be playing football and he understood that.
"He was really fair with me and then it was down to me just to keep training hard and working hard and then seeing what will happen.
"I did all I could to try and get back in the team, which luckily enough I managed to do."